Government grant for electric car chargers at home
Dec 7, 2021
Is it possible for Chiswick homeowners to save money now that W4 resides in the expanded Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)? Since October, motorists using cars that do not meet the ULEZ* emission standards are required to pay £12.50 per day to drive.
However, there is a Government scheme offering a ‘plug-in grant’ for low emission vehicles.
Although most Chiswick properties do not have designated private off-street parking, those that do can apply to access the grant - Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS). This provides a 75% contribution towards the cost of one charge point, and its installation, up to a maximum of £350.
The objective of the scheme is to help private plug-in vehicle owners to offset some of the upfront cost of the purchase and installation of a dedicated domestic recharging unit.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE HOMECHARGE SCHEME
• You may qualify if you meet the following criteria:
• Your electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle is on the eligible vehicles listYour property has off-street parking such as a garage, driveway or allocated parking space
• You have taken keepership of a new or second hand eligible vehicle or have ordered an eligible vehicle (proof required)
• You are leasing an eligible vehicle for at least six months
• Company vehicles – you have been assigned a company car for at least six months OR
• Have leased the vehicle as part of a salary-sacrifice scheme
• You have not previously claimed for the same vehicle
The grant offers up to £350 off the cost of purchasing and installing an electric vehicle charge point. You can claim for one electric vehicle charging point per eligible vehicle, and up to two electric vehicle charge points per household.
Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme customer guidance HERE
A full list of eligible vehicles for the EVHS HERE
List of authorised installers HERE
List of approved charge point models HERE
* London’s ultra-low emission zone (ULEZ) underwent a major expansion in October and is now 18 times the size of the central London zone. It now extends up to, but not including, the North Circular and South Circular roads.
Six-fold increase in homes for sale with electric vehicle chargers HERE